Fresco of St. George at Pantocrator

Title

Fresco of St. George at Pantocrator

Date

5/29/97

Description

Interior view of the catholicon or communal church of the Pantocrator Monastery. The photograph shows a fresco of Saint George (Georgios) located in the south transept of the catholicon. The painting program of the original 14th-century church was covered by new paintings in 1854 by Matthaios Ioannou of Naoussa. An icon of Christ is located below the fresco and the doorway to the left leads into the main nave of the church. The monastery of Pantocrator was recognized as a monastery in the mid-14th century. Before then it was a loosely knit center of kelli (‘cells’ or monastic living quarters). Its founders are Alexios and Ioannis who were supported by their relative John V Palaiologos. The monastery also enjoyed later endowments from Manuel II Palaiologos, and (after the fall of Constantinople) the Danubian princes. The monastery suffered a devastating fire in 1773 and its reconstruction was aided by the financial support of Catherine the Great of Russia. The tower dates back to the mo

Subject

Pantocrator Monastery
Monasteries
Greece
Mount Athos
Catholicons
Churches
Frescoes
Saints
Narthexes

Source

Recollection Wisconsin

Relation

https://asset.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/TVZUHPILBYWGR8L/M/s240-f4893.jpg

Type

image

References

https://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/PCWLTIDO4VTZJ8N

Citation

“Fresco of St. George at Pantocrator,” Center for Knit and Crochet Digital Repository, accessed August 9, 2026, https://digital.centerforknitandcrochet.org/items/show/40535.

Comments